- Outreach Calendar
- Outreach Staff
- Outreach News
- Outreach FAQ
- Programs and Services
- Statewide Collaborative Programs
- Arts Integration Project
- Turnaround Arts: Minnesota
- Resources for the Classroom
- K-12 Academic Standards
- Workshops and Conferences
- Student Recognition
- Contact Us
- Receive news & updates
Common Core Standards
The Common Core is the next generation of K-12 standards in English language arts and mathematics developed by the states through a joint effort. They are meant to help ensure that all students are college and career ready by high school graduation. An overview of the Common Core and the Arts, called The HeART of the Core, also lists the following key points:
- The standards are built on a set of practices.
- These practices allow for easy integration in and through the arts.
- The arts can access the Core Standards through the anchor standards in English/language arts and the math practices.
- Anchor standards: Broad set of standards in English/language arts (ELA) that define what students should understand and be able to do in each of the four key ELA areas.
- Mathematical practices: Overarching set of processes in mathematics that all students should be able to understand and apply to any mathematical progression.
- Key connective areas include text complexity, argumentative writing and math practices 1, 3 and 5.